If many of you who are interested in cruelty free cosmetics & products have already done your homework then you probably know by now that company's can use sneaky marketing ploys with their labeling to print inaccurate information (meaning lies) to get around officially stating to consumers whether the product is actually tested on animals. Weirdly enough I discovered this information on sneaky advertisement a couple of years ago when reading an article completely unrelated to animal testing. It still shocks me that I waited so long to switch as I never knew alternatives were really out there. I figured if you want "genuine" pure natural products you have to move to the wilderness-join a hippie commune and forever forgo the use of deodorants ever again. I'm an avid nature lover with the best of them but the thought of smelly armpits to prove a point to "big brother" was a proposition I was not about to jump into.Back to the point of this post-One particular sentence that a company can add to a label
"THIS FINISHED PRODUCT NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS"
which is just another way of saying that there was no animal testing done when the final formula was manufactured. Well duh! If you already tested on animals and completed the process there really is need need to test again. Or this sentence can also mean that the actual final product may not have been tested but components whether from the manufacturer or other outlets may have done the animal testing. So suffice it to say now that I'm changing the way I purchase products and trying slowly to replace all of the brands I used, have used or thinking of purchasing in the future to only cruelty free products-I have been looking at labels of every single thing that I own and was sad to find that some of my fave items had this label. Some other brands I used had no information at all not even on the internet so this really frustrated me. I took it upon myself these past few days to contact three of these brands by going to the source-Corporate Headquarters. Actually two companies because the third brand is manufactured by one of the two. I'm passing this information along to you guys so if you were ever interested in these brands regarding their policy on animal testing you now have it. These three brands in question are Bath & Body Works (+White Candle) Patricia Wexler MD- Victoria's Secret Cosmetics-Skin-Body-Hair Care Line. What got me started doing this was my Victoria's Secret Love Spell Hairspray which I reviewed and raved about previously on this blog. When I saw that line printed on back of the label my heart sank! I love this hairspray so much that the thought of not using it anymore upset me. So when I contacted the supervisor at Victoria's Secret Headquarter I explained to her that this phrase generally signifies that there was animal testing at some level. She informed and assured me that the Victorias Secret Brand is 100% CRUELTY FREE and she explained to me the reason why that phrase is on the products. She also stated she can't speak for any other company that has that printed on their labels but that VS is against animal testing period and said it was a brand guarantee. The label is printed with Final product Not Tested On Animals because it's how they originally stated it on labels because when the items had come out in the British stores British Law required that this be on the labels and it was just the way it was worded and as of convenience they labeled this ever since without changing it. She gave me a 100% guarantee that there were no animals tested components either so until there is other information to the contrary I will be continuing to purchase, test and review all Victoria's Secret products. Now if I only knew for certain if their cute little panties were not made in sweatshops-maybe I should have asked? So that settles that now onto Bath & Body Works who told me the same information and they sent me a guarantee via email which I will post below for you to read. Now as for Patricia Wexler which I use on and off (too expensive to use monthly) it is sold at Bath & Body Works and also manufactured by them here in the United States. It was so hard to get information to the Wexler brand on the web and cruelty free sites have this brand labeled as "unknown" in regards to animal testing but after speaking to BBW Corporate headquarters they assured me that Wexler products are not tested on animals and also made from non-animal by products but marine extracts. They also said they stand behind this policy 100% so for future record I will be purchasing and testing products from Bath & Body Works, Patricia Wexler and Victoria's Secret until there is other information that proves what headquarters has stated as being false. So for these three brands we can say for certain they are cruelty free but for future reference make sure you find out before hand when you see "Final Product Not Tested On Animals" on the label that it's cruelty free before you purchase. Stay beautiful! XOXO
| sabitha13@yahoo.com |
Case # 2614070
Dear Maria,
We appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to our policies, services and products. We value your inquiry and your interest in Bath and Body Works and The White Barn Candle Co.
This policy is for all of our products.We want you to know how much we appreciate your insight on the wording of our Animal Testing policy listed on our labels. We will note your request to make it less confusing, but also want to take the time to explain why it is worded this way.
We want you to know that we believe all living creatures deserve respect and we would never think of testing any of our products on animals. Likewise, we don't ask anyone who may be helping us develop or make our products to conduct these kinds of tests on our behalf.
At one time, we had stores in the United Kingdom as well as the United States. Under United Kingdom law, all labels on cosmetic and toiletry items must read, "This finished product not tested on animals." As a convenience to our customers in both countries, we decided to have the same labels on all our products instead of keeping separate inventories for the UK and the US.
We hope this information has put to rest any concerns you may have had, and helps you enjoy all your favorites from Bath and Body Works. We will certainly take your comments to heart and will also forward them to our Executive Team for future consideration.
If we can be of any further assistance, please reply to this email or contact us at 1-800-395-1001, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday.At one time, we had stores in the United Kingdom as well as the United States. Under United Kingdom law, all labels on cosmetic and toiletry items must read, "This finished product not tested on animals." As a convenience to our customers in both countries, we decided to have the same labels on all our products instead of keeping separate inventories for the UK and the US.
We hope this information has put to rest any concerns you may have had, and helps you enjoy all your favorites from Bath and Body Works. We will certainly take your comments to heart and will also forward them to our Executive Team for future consideration.
Sincerely,(name with held for privacy)
Customer Relations
Bath & Body Works
Bath & Body Works
Spring 2011 Trends You Love
In other blog news the Poll has ended for your favorite Spring 2011 Trends and the results are below as you can see the majority votes are for that 70's look!
That 70's Look | 12 (60%) FAVE TREND |
Bright Citrus Colors | 5 (25%) |
Minimal White | 2 (10%) |
Hair Feathers | 1 (5%) |
Huge Flower Barettes | 2 (10%) |
Ruffles & Billowy Trim | 7 (35%) |
Fruit Prints | 2 (10%) |
Multiple Bangles | 3 (15%) |
Trouser Jean | 1 (5%) |
Longer Skirts | 3 (15%) |
Platform Wedges | 7 (35%) |
Jumpsuits | 3 (15%) |




No comments:
Post a Comment