Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder

I'm never one to rave about face powders and the last time I was ever excited about a loose powder purchase was early in January after discovering Awake Liquid Powder and doing a review on it. And the only reason that caught my attention other than it was a "wet" powder was the fact it was yellow based which is perfect for my skin tone. The only real two brands ( three if you count my Shiseido Moon  Powder which is out for future buys because it's not cruelty free)  I periodically use are Le Clerc Model Banane and the last few saved remnants of my Agnes B. yellow powder ( which was discontinued years ago). I also have a boat load of Guerlain Meteorites along with a Guerlain Lavender powder compact purchased before I went cruelty free but I consider those specialty settings powders not one for daily use. I find no real need for setting powders if you have a great foundation and some nice concealer unless it's a special occasion or those days I need to have my makeup feel like it's better set. Of course there is also my Urban Decay All Nighter Spray which works better eliminating the need for powder at all. But still it''s nice to have a decent one on hand.

So you must understand my excitement when finally trying this Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder. I say finally because it was sent to me as a Sephora Beauty Insider Bonus around Christmas  time (?) before it officially hit the stores and I'm just getting around to testing it. There are so many products sitting in my little beauty basket waiting for me and never enough time!  Anyway I'm glad I used it today, I love this stuff! First some product info from the manufacturer posted below before I get to my results.


Invisible Loose Setting Powder
What it is:
A breakthrough invisible setting powder.
What it does:
This light-reflecting powder has micro-refined spherical silica that help create a soft-focus appearance, diminishing the look of fine lines and imperfections while visibly smoothing skin. Suitable for all skin types and skintones, it disappears upon application to flawlessly set makeup all day.What it is formulated WITHOUT:- Parabens
What else you need to know:
Dermatologist Tested. Talc free. Oil free.
Size: 0.4 oz



Pro: super lightweight! amazingly sheer making it easy to build on with multiple layers if you need it, long lasting coverage, cruelty free, super fine milled powder, doesn't creep into fine lines, beautifully sets your makeup, cruelty free, subtly diminishes pores  my pores are small to begin with) does not cake on  light or fair skin tones, oil free, no parabens

Con: pricey for product weight which is about 1.13 grams, this powder is too light and invisible that you need to dip and swirl your brush several times to pick up more product, comes in only one universal color better suited for light to fair skin tones


My results: This powder was applied on my face early this morning and my makeup is still set, fresh and no oiliness anywhere. I have combination skin and sometimes it gets oily around this time of day and this product seems to fix that issue. There is only one shade in this called Universal but it seems to be very white in the canister although not white looking on fair skin and I'm thinking it wouldn't work on tan skin which is too bad because this powder is dreamy! At first I thought it wasn't doing anything because it was so light I couldn't feel it on my skin  at all. So I had to swipe lots of powder onto the brush. By the way this little box kit came with a miniature version of the Laura Mercier fan brush which can be purchased at full size. The brush isn't practical for getting a good set but I'm still glad I have this little container and mini brush because when I buy the full size (and I will) it will come in handy to refill for carrying in my purse. The brush also has it's own thick plastic invisible cover for keeping it clean. A brush such as the full size version or another one of your liking with fine fanned bristles will probably work nicely for this powder because you can gently build on the layers you need giving you longer wear and more coverage for a flawless look. Now about the quantity you used, I said I had to use a lot because it's super sheer and couldn't feel it on but when I looked under different lighting I noticed my face had a nice airbrush look and I didn't need anymore. 

So make sure you use this in good lighting because you probably will end up using less than the normal powder your using now. Also I had a little dry patch on my chin and it appeared slightly with this powder but that's true of all powders. You powder will work just as good as your foundation does if you use the right one. Make sure to exfoliate first and use a good foundation before using this.  This powder sets with a matte finish but not a dry, caked feeling. I'm sorry they don't make this in other shades for other skin tones because it says universal but it will probably look pasty on darker skin. I can't imagine why? they only have one shade calling it universal for a really nice working powder that all women would love to have. It's not a miracle worker either,  if you have skin issues or super large pores and deep wrinkles I'm sure you tend to stay away from powders. But if you can use it on your cheeks or forehead avoiding eye and lip lines it might still work. If you have the money to splurge give it a try if it's no good Sephora accepts returns so you have nothing to lose. This review is based on my skin condition and skin coloring which is very fair yellow based, no wrinkles, a few tiny fine lines and some small pores issues. I'm trying to give you all the details so you have some idea on how it might work on your skin type before you make a purchase. All in all I love the feel and coverage it's giving me and I will definitely buy this in the future also because it's cruelty free and I need to replace my other products. I'm going to give this a 4 starfish rating for the quality and being cruelty free. It would get a higher rating if the product had more weight to it and other available colors for every woman. As for the size I guess it will still work if you need just a small amount even though it's a little pricey. Has anyone tried this?  What do you think? Stay beautiful!  XOXO
Availability: Sephora Laura Mercier invisible Loose Powder $34 .04 oz
Availability: Sephora Laura Mercier Fan Powder Brush $30 Full Size

No comments:

Post a Comment