I found a cache of old silverware this afternoon, unlike any other I’ve seen… and I’ve seen a lot of silverware, because I LOVE it, and collect unusual pieces. While my current favourite is the French Ivory handled cutlery, I do like the look and heft of old silver.
Here are a few of the pieces I found today.
A few weeks ago, I talked about monograms, and which way they should face when placed on the table. The question was mainly regarding an M monogram or a W monogram. There should be no question about this sweet little spoon! The rest of the pattern on the spoon reminds me of a suzani pattern. All swirls and swishes.
I don’t really think that there would be any question about the engraving on this piece either!
The American Export Lines owned dozens of steamships in the early 1900’s. It amazed me to find this knife.
Once again, we are back to the question of M or W! I love the vaguely Asiatic look of this monogram. But I am pretty sure the monogram on these pieces is a W. This pattern is so unusual in the shape of the handle. It’s not anything I’ve seen before. The pattern is Holmes & Edwards’ Hostess.
The company basically merged with several others in Massachusetts in the early 1900’s and ceased to exist. The mark on the reverse of these pieces is XIV, so maybe that’s 1914?
To me, there’s nothing more fun than digging through a box of old silverware and finding the most interesting pieces.
No comments:
Post a Comment