My guy, Kevin, spent about 12 hours sanding the floors at the house today. Whew! The floors turned out to be heart pine in all three rooms. It was incredible to be able to smell the resiny-pine smell from the floors once Kevin started the sanding. I rented a drum sander, and Kevin used three progressively finer grades of sand paper. So effectively, he had to do each room three times.
Once he finished, I vacuumed each room, and then went over the wood with a tack cloth to get all of the dust off the floor. Only then could I begin applying the polyurathane.
I did one coat this evening and will do the second tomorrow. The floors just sucked in the polyurathane. I am using a water-based satin finish. With all of the mess the sanding produces, this is really the only logical time I could do the floors – it’s not something you want to do with furniture in the house!
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
I’ve been thinking about the floor plan for this house for a while. My current house and my last house, all small row-houses, have had the same layout – three rooms on the main floor – a living room, dining room and kitchen. This house has one large room, a kitchen, mudroom and full bath.
So the decision is whether or not to have a separate dining area, or to use the gateleg table as a sofa table and only bring it out when I am having a dinner party. The upstairs is a little more straightforward. My room, a guest room and a work room.
I would love to hear your thoughts on furniture placement!
No comments:
Post a Comment