When I moved to the UK in 2005, I thought it would be a long-term thing. But that was not to be, and I returned to the States to be with my family and for my father’s subsequent death, four years ago next week. Then I thought I’d be in the States for a year or so, and go back to the UK, but that was not to be, either. (The image below is my commute to work in Wales!) I soon realized that Baltimore is my home, and set out to make a life here again. I rented a little row house, and got a job doing something I love. But I hadn’t settled down.
My roots in Baltimore firmly attached themselves to the ground when I bought a little farm-house this afternoon. It was built in 1900 on what was then the outskirts of Baltimore City, and would not be within the city borders for another 18 years. The minute I spotted it on the real estate listings, I fell in love with it.
I love that it has a ton of light! All of the windows are along the south side of the house and bring lots of natural brightness in. These images were all taken on a gloomy, snowy morning.
Like the last few houses I’ve lived in, this one’s long and narrow – but at 14 feet wide, it’s the widest! It has three bedrooms, two full baths, and a mudroom and a yard, which will be perfect for Connor. Unlike my last few houses, this one actually has closets and masses of storage, including an attic and basement. The house has a decent-size kitchen with pretty new appliances, but kitchens are not my main concern, much to the chagrin of my realtor!
It needs a little bit of work, mostly cosmetic. The floors on the main level are hardwood, and in the bedrooms, they’re heart pine under the grotty carpets. The house needs a good scrub and a lot of paint, as the last residents were three college-age boys. All of the light fixtures are hideous and will just be capped for now.
You might have noticed I was doing some home-type things, like the slip-covers, the paint colours, the dining room chairs, etc. Well, that’s all been in preparation for the move.
Settlement was postponed several times, so I didn’t want to say anything until I had the keys and deed in hand! Even though I am moving out of the old ‘hood, I am keeping the name Pigtown*Design, because I’ve worked hard to establish the “brand” and I think it’s a fun name. Oddly enough, the name of the new neighbourhood is even funnier than Pigtown!The house is a departure from everything I thought I wanted, but when it came down to it, there’s so much about it that that was appealing – the yard and garden, the closeness to where I grew up and to my mother and one of my siblings, and in a much better, safer and quieter neighbourhood.
I hope that you will follow along as I make this little house my new home. Suggestions for colours, arrangements, layouts, gardens, flowers, and just about everything else will be greatly appreciated. And if you’re in the neighbourhood, stop by for a cocktail.
No comments:
Post a Comment