Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bird by Bird

The writer, Annie Lamott wrote a book called “Bird by Bird”. It’s about writing and life, and taking things step by step. The title is taken from advice her father gave her then-ten year old brother who was overwhelmed by writing a report on birds. Her father said just take it bird by bird.birdbybirdThat’s advice I’ve always tried to follow when I am faced with a daunting task, like packing, moving and then unpacking a house.

I am faced with daily frustrations of not being able to find something critical – like my sonic screwdriver, which I used about three days ago, and is now nowhere to be found. I’ve called on saints to help me locate it, but I am sure it will re-appear as mysteriously as it disappeared.

I am starting to unpack my fabrics, and it’s like seeing old friends again! Oh, look, there’s Kelly Wearstler’s Bengal Bazaar! bengal Barbara Barry, you’re looking gorgeous as ever. barbara_barry_beddingShanghai, Nanjing and Summer Palace! 8-24 013 Now all I need to do is find the citrine silk I am using to make curtains for the guest room, and I can hang them!

As I said, I am just emptying bags and boxes, bird by bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment