Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Clothesline, at Last!

Before I moved to Wales, I had a tiny (10x15) back yard, that was part garden and part cement. But there was just enough room for a clothesline, which I loved! At my house in Pigtown, with its 12x12 back yard of 100% cement, and no sunlight, I wasn’t able to put up a clothesline because there was no place to anchor it on either end. When I wrote about clotheslines here, the post elicited a lot of responses. laundry 005When I was looking at my new house, I noticed that there were the old iron T-bars at either end of the back garden for a clothesline. I was so excited to see that, and couldn’t wait to start using it.  I even bought some great wooden clothes pegs in anticipation. laundry 001 Today, a partly cloudy day, was the day I started with the clothesline. I washed some 100% cotton sheets and hung them out to dry. laundry 003 After about an hour, I checked to see whether they were dry, and they were. It would have taken about the same amount of time in the tumble drier, but it only used the sun and the breeze for drying. I don’t think it’s appropriate, especially where I live surrounded by neighbours, to hang everything out to dry. But sheets, towels, and linens are perfect.

I also have a little hanger with clothespins that I got at Muji in NYC last year. It’s very handy for hanging linen napkins. Click the image for the link.laundry 006Do you have a clothesline?

No comments:

Post a Comment