On Friday, I went out for a few hours to have brunch with a friend in from LA, and when we returned to the house, Connor wasn’t at the front door to greet me, like he always is. I called out to him and he still didn’t come. My heart started pounding, and I ran upstairs to see if he was asleep on or under my bed. As I got to the top of the stairs, I glanced in the bathroom, and to my horror, I saw Connor peering in the window at me!The windows at this house have low sills, about two feet, and somehow, he’d managed to climb up, go through the blinds and break through the metal screen and get himself onto the roof over the mudroom and first floor bath. Luckily, the hot weather had broken, and I wasn’t gone for long. Even luckier, he didn’t panic and go over the edge. Never in a million years would I have thought he’d do something like that. It really rattled me. I closed all of the windows and checked that things were closed up tight.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Things are progressing at the house. I got everything out of the old house and turned in the key, glad to see the end of that chapter and move on to a new one. I had my first guests for dinner, although they kindly brought and cooked dinner on the grill that they gave me as a house-warming present! Thanks, Chefs!
There are vast spaces without bags and boxes! Although, as you can see, there are a lot still waiting for a space to present itself as the perfect landing spot. I have the furniture in a good arrangement for now, but I am also sure that it will be moved as things clear out.For the past few years, I’ve had a chandelier stored under my bed. I bought it at a car-boot sale at the local rugby club in Wales. It was in hundreds of pieces and I ordered the fasteners from London, and put it all back together.
I was given an incredible brass floor lamp. It’s probably French, as evidenced by the plug on the cord. I thought that since I had to replace the electrical cord, I could marry the two pieces and have a nice lamp for my bed-side.
The brass part of this weighs at least 20 lbs. and has wonderful little paw feet. I love the scrolled leaf.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………
I thought you might like to see some pictures of the little neighbourhood where I am living. This is an old water tower. It looms over everything and you can see it from different parts of the area. Yesterday, they had some bands playing at the tower as a fundraiser for its restoration.It seems like everyone in the neighbourhood has some sort of garden. My neighbour across the street is growing blackberries, tomatoes, squash, and mint. I saw this terraced garden filled with beautiful blue hydrangeas.
I am having such fun exploring the streets and lanes of Hickory Heights, and am so pleased that you’re along for the adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment