Just when I was saying that we’d not had any tornado warnings, along came two today! Big storms rolling though, trying to push out the 100% humidity and 95F weather. If they hit, they were south of here, by a little bit… along with the 70+ mph winds that blew through the other night! EEK!
We had really strange clouds last night, too. The light reflecting off of this cloud was so strong that it actually cast shadows. Apparently, this was the back end of a storm hitting 50 miles away. The top of this cloud was at 50,000 feet, which is massive. Yes, I am a weather geek. I took a class in college called “Wind & Weather for the Serious Yachtsman”, and it was actually a tough meteorology class. If you’re racing off-shore, you need to be able to read the clouds and the sky to see what’s coming. Red sky at night, sailor’s delight. Red sky in morning, sailor take warning.
When I lived in the UK, I was fascinated with the cloud formations there, as they were so different in that island nation, than they were here on the US Atlantic coast. Even though it was very cloudy, the sun always seemed to be shining.
When I would drive to work, along the coastline, I would see rainbows dancing in the sky as it rained on one side of me and the sun shone on the other. The clouds were often dramatic with dark bottoms, looking threatening and somber. This was my last day at the castle and the sky matched my mood perfectly. Dark and stormy.
Do you pay attention to the sky and the clouds?
No comments:
Post a Comment