Friday, April 27, 2007

Books on the Brain

For those of you in L.A., don't forget the L.A. Times Festival of Books is on this weekend, at UCLA. I have my ticket to see T.C. Boyle, rabid fan that I am (so much of a fan that the entire time we overlapped at USC, he as a professor and I as a grad student, I wanted to drop by his office hours, but was too intimidated), and more than one of us in the family can't wait to see Tim Gunn, from Project Runway.


Books, books, and more books. I can't wait. I spent last Friday morning poring over the latest and upcoming titles. We have some fun new ones this month, the highlight probably being Eggs, by Jerry Spinelli. He's the author of Stargirl, a great read that Lola's teachers keep assigning. She's read it at least four times. Eggs has a bit of "tragic drama" in it, but nothing compared with most of the books coming out this season, whose descriptions all sound like this:

"When 13-year old Susie's mother dies of an overdose and she's sent to live in a rusty trailer with her smelly old uncle, she never thought..."

Draaaaag. On a sillier note:

No comments:

Post a Comment